くらしのガイド観光・歴史・文化事業者の方へ子どもページ
位置:ホーム > welcome to niihama a guidebook > Museum

Museum

Hirose Memorial Museum

 The Hirose Memorial Museum was built to protray the history of Niihama and the modernization of Japan through the efforts of Saihei Hirose. The museum opened in 1997.



 Saihei Hirose was the 35th general manager of the Besshi Copper Mine. After the Meiji Restoration in 1867, he invited French engineers for technological advice and promoted the modernization of the mine. He was also committed to the development of Japan’s industry and was the first private citizen to receive a medal from the Meiji Emperor.

9:30〜17:30
¥520 adults
¥260 elementary school and junior high students
Group discount (for 20 or more)
Closed all Mondays. Closed the day following a national holidays (except for Sundays)
Closed Dec. 29 through Jan.3
10 minutes from JR Niihama station by car

Museum

  Saihei Hirose modernized the Besshi Copper Mine by introducing Western technology; building refineries, an inclined shaft, a road for oxcarts and mine railways. The original materials and pictures on display, as well as holograms and computer graphics projected by the latest technology, provide a good picture of the modernization efforts of Saihei Hirose.



Former Hirose residence

 The main building of the Hirose residence was constructed in 1877 and the new reception room and the garden were added in 1889. Although constructed in traditional Japanese style, the residence also includes Western features such as a mantelpiece, glass windowpanes, a western style toilet, and a lightning rod.
 You can also enjoy the beauty of the garden year round. The garden contains a lawn (rare for those times) and a quaint teahouse. The premises, including the outer garden, has been designated a place of scenic beauty by Ehime Prefecture.


Shigetsu-an(Teahouse)

Shin-zashiki(New reception room)

Sumitomo Chemical Historical Materials Museum

 This museum displays historical materials from the Sumitomo Chemical Company which originated from the Besshi Copper Mine. The building is the former Niihama branch office of the Sumitomo Bank (1901-1958).


9:00〜16:00
No admission charge
Closed Saturdays, Sundaya and national holidays
10 minutes from JR Niihama station by car

Ehime Prefectural Science Museum

 The Ehime Prefectural Science Museum was opened in 1994. It was designed by the world famous architect, Kisho Kurokawa.
The museum has three exhibition halls; Nature, Science and Technology, and Industry. You can enjoy paper making, watching a computer-controlled dinosaur show and operating experimental devices for the transmission of light, sound and electricity. According to the Guinness Book of Records, the planetarium has the world’s largest domed screen, about 30m in diameter. Outside the museum, there is a revolving furnace and a train for dumping copper slag.


9:00〜17:00
Halls
 ¥500 adults
  No admission charge for elementary
  school and jumior high students
Planetarium
 ¥500 adults
 ¥250 elementary school and jumior high
  students
Gloup discount (for 20 or more)
Closed Mondays expect national holidays
Closed Tuesdaya when a national holiday falls on Monday
Closed Dec. 29 through Jan. 5
15 minutes from JR Niihama station by car

kyodo(Local Culture and History) Museum

 Among the items on display are samples of copper ore, and on the second floor, an old taikodai (drum float). The museum also provides art exhibit space for local citizens.


9:00〜17:00
No admission charge
Closed Mondays
Also closed Tuesday following a national holidays
Closed Dec. 29 through Jan. 3
5 minutes from JR Niihama by car